Samburu National Park
Samburu National Park is popularly known for the award-winning movie and bestselling book called “Born Free”. This is because it was the home of Elsa the Lioness one of the stars in the movie. Samburu National Park is found in the rift valley province of Kenya boarded by River Ewaso Nyiro that separates it for the Buffalo Springs. Samburu National Reserve is located 345 kms from Nairobi city with an arid and semi-arid climate. The reserve is one of those in Kenya with an abundance of rare species of the gravy zebras, Reticulated giraffe and Beisa Oryx (Samburu special)
Attractions in Samburu National Park
- Ewaso Ngiro River
- Wildlife; giraffes, Grevy’s Zebra, long necked Gerenuk, Beisa Oryx, lion, leopard, cheater, wild dog, elephants and Pancake tortoise
- Birdlife of 450 species like Somali Ostrich, Taita falcon, Lesser Kestrel, African Darter, Great Egret, White-headed Vulture, Martial Eagle and the Yellow-billed Ox-pecker
- Samburu tribe
- Sights of Buffalo Springs National Reserve
Activities in Samburu National Park
- Game drives
- Walking safari
- Cultural tours
- Bird watching
Where to stay in Samburu National Park
The reserve has a number of lodges, permanent campsites and special campsites which cover everyone’s budget.
- Lodges; Samburu Game Lodge, Samburu Larsens’ Camp, Samburu Sopa, Saruni Samburu, Elephant Watch camp and Elephant Bedroom.
- Special campsites; Doom Palm , Gevy campsite, Impala Campsite, Game trackers, Lion King Safari
- Public Campsite; Vervet Monkey, Kingfisher, Butterfly and Kigelia
How to get to Samburu National Park
This is the most common type of transportation to Samburu National Park and it will take you approximately 5-6 hrs. from Nairobi city as you get to do more of sightseeing. The roads are in good condition but as you get closer to the park, the roads are Marram and you may experience the African Massage. We recommend you use a 4×4 Vehicle and this ranges from Us dollars $200-$350 per day minus drivers’ allowance.
Best time of the year to visit Samburu National Park
Make an Enquiry/ Talk to an Expert
Samburu National Park in Pictures
Our Recommended African Safari Ideas
Our itinerary ideas will give you a starting point for what your trip could entail. Treat them just as inspiration, as each trip is created uniquely for you and there are many more options available.